Global Action on Men's Health Webinar Abstracts MEN AND CANCER: SAVING LIVES, REDUCING SUFFERING
Main Article Content
The Men and Cancer webinar was organised by Global Action on Men’s Health in collaboration with its official journal, the International Journal of Men’s Social and Community Health. The event was generously supported by an educational grant from Advanced Accelerator Applications, a Novartis company.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright of articles published in all DPG titles is retained by the author(s). The author(s) grants DPG the rights to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher. The author grants DPG exclusive commercial rights to the article. The author grants any party the rights to use the article freely for non-commercial purposes provided that the original work is properly cited.
1. Giona S. The Epidemiology of Testicular Cancer. Exon Publications. 2022 Sep 12:107-16.
2. Saab MM, Landers M, Hegarty J. Males’ awareness of benign testicular disorders: an integrative review. American Journal of Men's Health. 2018 May;12(3):556-66.
3. Saab MM, Hegarty J, Landers M. Testicular awareness: the what, the why, and the how. International Journal of Men’s Social and Community Health. 2019 Jan 15;2(1):e1-0.
4. Saab MM, Landers M, Cooke E, Murphy D, Hegarty J. Feasibility and usability of a virtual reality intervention to enhance men’s awareness of testicular disorders (E-MAT). Virtual Reality. 2019 Jun;23(2):169-78.
5. Saab MM, Landers M, Cooke E, Murphy D, Davoren M, Hegarty J. Enhancing men’s awareness of testicular disorders using a virtual reality intervention: A pre–post pilot study. Nursing Research. 2018 Sep 1;67(5):349-58.
6. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2018 Nov;68(6):394-424.
7. Saab MM, Noonan B, Kilty C, FitzGerald S, Collins A, Lyng Á, Kennedy U, O'Brien M, Hegarty J. Awareness and help-seeking for early signs and symptoms of lung cancer: A qualitative study with high-risk individuals. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2021 Feb 1;50:101880.
8. Saab MM, Kilty C, Noonan B, FitzGerald S, Collins A, Lyng Á, Kennedy U, Hegarty J. Public health messaging and strategies to promote “SWIFT” lung cancer detection: A qualitative study among high-risk individuals. Journal of Cancer Education. 2020 Oct 31:1-0.
9. Saab MM, O’Driscoll M, FitzGerald S, Sahm LJ, Leahy-Warren P, Noonan B, Kilty C, Lyons N, Burns HE, Kennedy U, Lyng Á. Primary healthcare professionals’ perspectives on patient help-seeking for lung cancer warning signs and symptoms: a qualitative study. BMC Primary Care. 2022 Dec;23(1):1-5.
10. Saab MM, O’Driscoll M, FitzGerald S, Sahm LJ, Leahy-Warren P, Noonan B, Kilty C, O’Malley M, Lyons N, Burns HE, Kennedy U. Referring patients with suspected lung cancer: a qualitative study with primary healthcare professionals in Ireland. Health Promotion International. 2022 Jun;37(3):daac088.
PUTTING MEN ON THE CANCER POLICY AGENDA IN EUROPE: Richard Price
1. European Commission (2021). Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan. https://health.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2022-02/eu_cancer-plan_en_0.pdf (accessed 26 October 2022). 2. European Commission (2020). Conquering cancer. Mission possible. https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/knowledge-publications-tools-and-data/publications/all-publications/conquering-cancer-mission-possible_en (accessed 26 January 2023).
3. UNCAN.eu initiative (2022). Available at: https://uncan.eu/ (Accessed: January 26, 2023). 4. European Code Against Cancer. IARC. Available at: https://cancer-code-europe.iarc.fr/index.php/en/ (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
5. EU Beating Cancer Plan aims to eliminate HPV Cancers. NOMAN. Available at: https://www.nomancampaign.org/post/eu-beating-cancer-plan-aims-to-eliminate-hpv-cancers (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
6. Brussels proposes mandatory health warnings on alcohol by 2023. Politico. Available at: https://www.politico.eu/article/commission-proposes-mandatory-alcohol-labelling-by-2023 (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
7. Proposal for a harmonized mandatory front-of-pack nutrition labelling. European Parliament. Available at: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/legislative-train/theme-a-european-green-deal/file-mandatory-front-of-pack-nutrition-labelling (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
8. Asbestos screening, registering and monitoring. European Commission. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/have-your-say/initiatives/13543-Asbestos-screening-registering-and-monitoring_en (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
9. European Health Union: A new EU approach on cancer detection – screening more and screening better. European Commission. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_5562 (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
10. Action grants to create a ‘Cancer Survivor Smart Card.’ HaDEA. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/topic-details/eu4h-2021-pj-12 (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
11. HADEA/2022/OP/0023 – Study on Job Retention and Return to Work for Cancer Patients and Survivors. HaDEA. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/tender-details/12440en;callCode=null;freeTextSearchKeyword=cancer;matchWholeText=true;typeCodes=1,0;statusCodes=31094501,31094502,31094503;programmePeriod=null;programCcm2Id=null;programDivisionCode=null;focusAreaCode=null;destinationGroup=null;missionGroup=null;geographicalZonesCode=null;programmeDivisionProspect=null;startDateLte=null;startDateGte=null;crossCuttingPriorityCode=null;cpvCode=null;performanceOfDelivery=null;sortQuery=sortStatus;orderBy=asc;onlyTenders=false;topicListKey=topicSearchTablePageState (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
12. European Cancer Inequalities Registry. Joint Research Centre. Available at: https://cancer-inequalities.jrc.ec.europa.eu/ (Accessed: January 26, 2023).
13. Aapro M, Baker P (2022). Men and Cancer: Raising the Issues. European Cancer Organisation; Brussels.
14. ECO Policy Decision Making. European Cancer Organisation. Available at: https://www.europeancancer.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24:policy-decision-making&catid=2:uncategorised (Accessed: January 29, 2023).
ELIMNATING HPV-CAUSED CANCERS IN MEN: Peter Baker
1. Liao CI, Francoeur AA, Kapp DS, Caesar MA, Huh WK, Chan JK. Trends in Human Papillomavirus–Associated Cancers, Demographic Characteristics, and Vaccinations in the US, 2001-2017. JAMA network open. 2022 Mar 1;5(3):e222530-.
2. CDC (2022). How Many Cancers Are Linked with HPV each year? https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/statistics/cases.htm (accessed 26 October 2022).
3. Bruni L, Saura-Lázaro A, Montoliu A, Brotons M, Alemany L, Diallo MS, Afsar OZ, LaMontagne DS, Mosina L, Contreras M, Velandia-González M. HPV vaccination introduction worldwide and WHO and UNICEF estimates of national HPV immunization coverage 2010–2019. Preventive medicine. 2021 Mar 1;144:106399.
4. European Commission (2021). Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan. https://health.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2022-02/eu_cancer-plan_en_0.pdf (accessed 26 October 2022).